Originally known as Southport Ditch Cemetery consecrated in June 1798.
Next to Trafalgar Cemetery once stood Deadman's Cemetery (on top of Charles V Wall). When it became part of St. Jago's Barrack playground the headstones were embedded in one of its walls. None were older than 1738. The headstones were in poor condition and neglected so General Sir Alexander Godley (Governor of Gibraltar from 1928 to 1933) ordered them to be removed to Trafalgar Cemetery. Deadman's Cemetery was converted into a Rifle Range and Ball Alley in 1929.
Every year, on the Sunday nearest to the 21 st. October, the famous battle of Trafalgar is commemorated in Trafalgar Cemetery. The photograph below shows the 2008 ceremony.
There are many aspects of Trafalgar Cemetery which make it worth a visit, and hopefully the series of images below will provide a flavour of this peaceful place amid the hustle and bustle of daily life in Gibraltar.